Monday, December 28, 2009

2 million dollars?!?!?


Today was spent at Cleveland Browns Stadium. After surviving the pat down and the long trek to our seats the game began. The Browns were playing the Raiders (not of much interest to me, I'm more of a Steelers girl) and my only goal was to attempt to stay warm. That lasted for about 2 quarters, which is actually like 27 hours in football time, but something besides the biting cold was upsetting me even more...


Before the game started I asked my dad how much money NFL players made per year. He casually responded, "Like 1 or 2 million dollars if you play for a bad team, even more if you play for a good one". I more and more I thought about that the more and more upset I became. I finally lost it when they were doing a tribute to 2 men that served on the New York Fire Department and helped save people during September 11. According to the NYC.gov website their firefighters make an average of $60,000 a year.


How absolutely insane is it that the men that devote their lives to rescuing people make about 1/25 of what men who are good at tossing a ball make? It's ridiculous. These men are good at a sport and make more money than 99% of other jobs. Doctors, lawyers, teachers: the people who make the world go round make a fraction of what professional sports players make. We are the ones who have made it this way, that's what really hurts. Guys in college play and practice just as hard and don't earn a cent all while going to school. Some pros never even went to college, they are stupid as rocks and earn a painful amount of money.


Half way through the game the Browns were handing out a scholarship to a college age girl. It was for $10,000 which seems quite generous. But in reality, that's 1/200 OF WHAT ONE PLAYER MAKES IN ONE SEASON. That's not right, not at all.


The question I have is, would people stop watching if the players only made $500,000 a year? Hell no. Would people no longer be interested in sports? Hell no. Would the world crumble if NFL players made less money. Hell no.


What happened to doing something just for the love of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment